Tuesday, September 24, 2019

September 24, 2019

Periods 1 and 2:
The first five minutes were dedicated to writing fluency.
We began the period with our symposium questions. Many of the questions were "right there" questions with only one answer. We will be doing more work in generating more thoughtful questions.

There was a brief, six-question reading quiz on pages 147-163. When I ask you to read, I expect you do. You can expect many more symposiums and/or reading quizzes to hold you accountable in the future.

Finally, we read pages 163-175 (read if you are absent).

No other homework besides your independent reading projects.

Periods 3 and 4:
Fluency writing for the first five minutes.

Symbols project: you should be finished and upload the assignment by this evening. See the presentation schedule here

Period 6:
Your complete memoir (DRAFT) is due, in class TOMORROW.

After fluency writing...
Add this document to your new English 19-20 folder. 
(If you are absent, go to www.drive.google.com and click NEW on the left side. Click FOLDER. Name it ENGLISH 19-20) This will be a place to add files that you will use as a reference this year. You can create subfolders as you wish or when encouraged.

We spent the period looking at mentor text for beginnings and endings. You were asked to pay close attention / observe three launches (beginnings) and landings (ends). After, you were asked to try writing like the mentor, using your own content (stuff) from your memoir.

For example, in my memoir about bacon, I chose the passage below, and then I imitated it with my content.

My original beginning: I love bacon. I love bacon a lot. I love bacon so much, I often joke that I would eat a kitten if it was wrapped in enough bacon. Maybe even just some bacon.

Below is my attempt at revision
MENTOR TEXT:
People sometimes ask me, “What’s it like to do photoshoots for magazines?” “Do you enjoy that kind of thing?” Let me be completely honest here. Publicity and press junkets are just part of the job. Your work is what you really care about because your work is your craft and your craft is your art and photoshoots are THE FUNNEST!
IMITATION:
One time, someone asked me, “What’s your favorite food? Do you have something you could eat every day?” Let me be frank here. Chocolate and hot wings are just two things I’d consider. The best food is what I really crave in spite of any mood because it will make me happy because it is simply THE BEST!
 I liked my original launch better, but I attempted the revision. You may like the imitation better and - guess what? You can keep it if you want to.

We went through this process with three launches and three landings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment